Sunday, February 20, 2011

Albrecht Dürer (May 21, 1471 – April 6, 1528)

                                                                                  
Self-Portrait
1500

I usually try to post a limited number of an artists works (I do this for a lot of reasons, which, if I feel like boring you into a strong sleep, I'll one day enumerate), but I couldn't really help breaking that rule with Dürer. And I don't know why I have. I certainly love Dürer and all of his works, yet even among the group of Northern Renaissance painters, I've never preferred him to van Eyck or Bosch. Perhaps, when I was a child, and fond of drawing (or, if honesty is a virtue, doodling), glimpsing Dürer's amazing drawings and etchings had somehow convinced me of a greater art possible in my pen. 

Christ On The Mount Of Olives
1524

Man in Armor on Horseback
1498

Martyrdom of the Ten Thousand
1508 

Nemesis
1501-1503


The Women's Bath
1496

Portrait of Elsbeth Tucher
1499 

Apollo with the Solar Disc and Diana Trying to Shield Herself from the Rays with Her Uplifted Hand 
1504

Lamentation for Christ
1500-1503 

St. Eustace
1501 

No comments:

Post a Comment