Friday, February 11, 2011

Henri Rousseau (May 21, 1844 – September 2, 1910)

                                                                                      
A Carnival Evening
1885-1886

I stand divided on Rousseau. There is something, I think, that was obviously deficient in his ability to paint–even some of his most ardent followers will agree on that point. Yet I can't help but stare at his paintings. There is such a marvelous aspect of design in all of his works that I can't help but feel that I am somewhat dreaming when I look at them. On the other hand, at certain times, especially when he is trying to depict people, his weakness glares so strongly on the canvas that I begin to dislike it all. So I'm divided ...

Surprise!
1891

The Boat in the Storm
1896-1898

Walking in the Parc des Buttes-Chaumont
1908-1909

Unpleasant Surprise
1901

Rendezvous in the Forest
1889 

No comments:

Post a Comment