Friday, May 20, 2011

Marc Chagall (July 6, 1887 – 28 March 28, 1985)

                                                                                                               
Bella with White Collar
1917

As a quick note, I'm leaving the city for a couple of days and, while I can usually post from away, this time I'll be in a desolate forested area, which will almost certainly have no reception. So, until the end of the weekend keep your expectations low for new posts. 

Now, to Chagall. The influence and stature of Chagall in the artistic community is tremendous, and even those  in the artistic community who take no pleasure in his work recognize him as a great painter. While there is a lot to laud in terms of Chagall's content,–the noted symbolism of which, he claimed to be unintentional and merely a viewer's subjective experience–it his use of color that he is best known for: a development from the Fauvist movement. It's perhaps a viable argument that, aside from Kandinsky, Chagall had the best sense of color in the 20th century. I'll round out this text with one of my favorite quotes by Chagall; "My name is Marc, my emotional life is sensitive and my purse is empty, but they say I have talent."

The Concert
1957

The Praying Jew
1914

Red Nude Sitting Up
1908

Cemetery Gates
1917

Paris Through the Window
1913

The Sun of Paris
1975

The Old Jew
1912

The Comedians
1968

Self-Portrait with White Collar
1914

No comments:

Post a Comment