Sunday, March 13, 2011

Adolph Gottlieb (March 14, 1903 - March 4, 1974)

                                                                                                    
Burst 1973
1973 

Gottlieb once said "I did have certain symbols that were repeated and carried over from one painting to another. But my favorite symbols were those which I didn't understand." And I suppose that characterizes Gottlieb's career quite well: he began with Expressionism and moved, more and more, towards an extremely simplistic form of Abstract Expressionism. Gottlieb's abstraction is highly stylized, usually conforming to his extremely strong sense of composition.

The Natural Swimming Pool
1937

Sailor's Charm
1945

Dialogue I
1960

Untitled
1934

Sounds in the Night
1948

Ascension
1958

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved Adolph Gottlieb. It is so nice to see his earlier work as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally, glad you enjoyed it. I usually try to show as many of an artist's styles as I can get a hold of, which with 20th century painters is a hard, hard thing.

    ReplyDelete