Friday, March 25, 2011

Rosso Fiorentino (March 8, 1494 Florence - November 14, 1540)

                                                                                                  
Musician Angel
1520

Rosso Fiorentino (Red-headed Florentine), Giovanni Battista di Jacopo, was one of the greatest Mannerists, yet he's not held in as great a favor as many other painters of the Renaissance. I suppose there's a stylized fashion in his works that somehow repulses critics. Personally, I think he's incredibly original, and was one of the most obvious precursors of the sublimely wondrous El Greco. And what powerful softness he could create in an image as well, especially in his famous piece at the head of the post, Musician Angel.

Moses Defending the Daughters of Jethro
1523-1524

A Young Man
1517-1518

Pietà
1537-1540 

Madonna and Child with Putti
1517

Deposition
1521

4 comments:

  1. Hey, just found your blog a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it. I have no education in appreciating visual art but still really enjoy it. looking forward to this blog giving me a little bigger dose of it in my life. My fave painter=John Marin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you enjoy the blog. John Marin is an amazing artist (I will be sure to feature him at some later date). If you love John Marin, you should certainly take a look at, if you haven't already, Charles Burchfield (over here somewhere>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up! I'd never heard of him, but you're right, his paintings are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete