Sunday, March 6, 2011

Kazimir Malevich (February 23, 1879 – May 15, 1935)

                                                                                              
Self-Portrait
1911

Malevich was a massively prolific painter, whose various styles I tried, for fun, to capture in this post, and I think I've failed. Honestly I'm sure there must be some Impressionist and Post-Impressionist pieces of his out there that I haven't found, not to mention a slew of other styles that he worked in that I might be neglecting–oh well! 

Anyway, Malevich created a style known as Suprematism, which is founded upon the idea of using basic geometric shapes as the focus of a painting. His masterpiece in the style can be seen below, Black Square, which also at one dark time hung above his deathbed (or, rather, a version of it did). He described the creation of the Black Square thusly: "I felt only night within me and it was then that I conceived the new art, which I called Suprematism."

Black Square
1923-1929

Knife Grinder (Principle of Flickering)
1913

Oak and Dryads
1908 

The Female Bathers
1908

Suprematism (Supremus 58)
1916

Haymaking
1928

Cow and Violin
1913

Airplane Flying
1915

River in the Forest
1908

As an interesting–to me–aside, I believe there's an English translation of The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov, that uses the below painting, An Englishman in Moscow, on its cover.
An Englishman in Moscow
1914

No comments:

Post a Comment