Sunday, March 20, 2011

Théophile Steinlen (November 10, 1859 – December 13, 1923)

                                                                          
Gaudeamus
1890

Steinlen is one of the great Art Nouveau artists, who is especially well-known for his strange depictions of cats, often full of supernatural energy. Still, a great portion of his art fell well outside the range of Art Nouveau, such as his wonderful Post-Impressionist pieces, which seem to have been inspired by Gauguin and Cézanne, and Expressionist works, which were perhaps inspired by Realists such as Millet. And yet, it's those cats which hold my interest to Steinlen and seem to best illustrate his originality. 

Massaida on the Divan
1912

Cats
1910

The Kiss

The Coal Sorters
1905

4 comments:

  1. I think I can see the influence of Cezanne's still life paintings in the fruit bowl of Massaida on the Divan. Nonetheless, they almost resemble the 2-dimensional bananas of Andy Warhol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Montejo, I think you're right on the spot in terms of the bananas. And the Warhol note is interesting, though I don't know how familiar Warhol was with Steinlen. I'd also say that the rest of the painting, "Massaida on the Divan," is closely modeled after Gauguin's pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone know where the original of Steinlen's Gaudeamus can be found? Or if it is possible to purchase reproductions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, I can't be sure. I think it might be in Petit Palais in Paris.

    ReplyDelete