Sunday, March 27, 2011

Robert Delaunay (April 12, 1885 – October 25, 1941)

                                                                                                
Circular Forms
1930
Delaunay was one of those turn-of-the-century painters that acted as a midwife for all those wonderful styles that developed in that period. His best known paintings are colorful and full of varying circles, a style no doubt influenced by Kandinsky: Delaunay was a part of the Der Blaue Reiter group.

The City
1911

Saint-Séverin No. 3
1909-1910

Nude Woman Reading
1920

Champs de Mars: The Red Tower
1911/1923

The Three Graces
1912

Man with a Tulip or Portrait of Jean Metzinger
1906

2 comments:

  1. I love the work of both Robert & his wife Sonia Delaunay. Although different,each used such a beautiful color palette. I often prefer the work of Sonia to her better known husband, but both are indeed remarkable artists. I love the portrait above "Man With a Tulip". I had never seen it before. I am again drawn to the beauty of the colors. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally, glad to hear you like the last painting. Fauvism is a wonderful movement, and it's a shame it's less featured elsewhere. As for Sonia, I have to say I prefer Robert. But it could stem from my love of Robert's Cubist and Expressionist periods, over his and Sonia's Abstract Expressionist (or Orphic).

    ReplyDelete