Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Remedios Varo (December 16, 1908 - October 8, 1963)

                                                                                                      
The Flight
1961

Varo is one of my favorite Surrealists. Her strange romantic works seems to me to be some form of mature childhood romanticism, if that sort of mildly contradicting sentiment makes sense. My love of her art comes partially from that strong influence of Bosch on most of her paintings (and I am a Bosch fanatic). But another strong portion of my love of her works' comes from that outlandish romanticism that I tried to define earlier, and that makes me gaze into these paintings endlessly.


Harmony
1956

The Cat Fern
1957

Valley of the Moon
1950

Premonition
1953

To Women's Happiness
1956

No comments:

Post a Comment