Thursday, March 3, 2011

Elmer Bischoff (July 9, 1916 – March 2, 1991)

                                                                                                    
Boat and Clouds
1967

Here we have another somewhat obscure 20th century artist. I love Bischoff, but there is something somewhat derivative about his art; and, unfortunately, its most likely this second-hand quality that automatically obscures people's appreciation of the novelty and romantic strangeness of Bischoff's art. I've heard him referred to as a lesser Munch, but I'm not quite sure if this is accurate. I think he takes much more after Redon, but I wouldn't call him a lesser Redon for it–why should similarity be the death knell of artistic expression? 

Figure and Red Wall
1955

Europa
1957

Figure at Window with Boat
1964

Two Figures at the Seashore
1957

Untitled
1937 

Blue Clouds
1963

And to cap this post off, I've posted some of Bischoff's Abstract works. 

#51
1980

The Day of the Trifolds 
1962

No comments:

Post a Comment